Saturday, December 11, 2010

Reverb10: December 3: Moment
Following a link from Gretchen Rubin at the Happiness Project, I found the Reverb10 site, which encourages us to spend each day of December looking back at 2010 and thinking about what we want in our lives in 2011, through daily prompts. Since I'm nine days late, I'm not going to write about all of them, but I think I'll write now about one that sings to me. 

December 3 - Moment. Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year. Describe it in vivid detail (texture, smells, voices, noises, colors.)

I sit at the door to the boat, and the people start coming in. The band is starting to set up. The rain is dancing down on the roof, the windows, and the water that surrounds us on three sides. I'm the doorperson; I take the door donations and direct people to the seats and to the kitchen where the food and drink are. People are happy to be here. They're impressed with this beautiful, 80-foot, wood- and window-lined boat, and with the concert series. The windows surround us; the light is falling and the rain makes it feel cozy inside. I'm surrounded by friends and by people who love music. This phenomenon is something I helped create: a house concert series on my (now ex-) boyfriend's boat. We had this vision, and we made it happen, and now, swimming in love, light, and music, I'm happier than I've ever been. Nothing else matters, and tomorrow does not exist. When the musicians arrive and the room fills with guitar and voice, the audience - and I - well up with tears. "If you're not in awe, you're not paying attention" is the phrase of the evening. I'm in awe, and I'm paying attention, and we're all so alive that the air hums with it. This is a moment that all future experiences will be measured against.

Here's a video of Lisa and Erika, the duo who played that night.

No comments: