Tuesday, December 21, 2010


Reverb10: December 17: Lesson Learned

Following a link from Gretchen Rubin at the Happiness Project, I found the Reverb10 site, which encourages us to spend each day of December looking back at 2010 and thinking about what we want in our lives in 2011, through daily prompts. Since I started nine days late, I'm not going to write about all of them, but I think I'll write now about one that sings to me. 

December 17 – Lesson Learned What was the best thing you learned about yourself this past year? And how will you apply that lesson going forward?

I learned that I am stronger than I sometimes think I am, and that I can withstand what I think I can't. It's so hard to feel stuck, trapped, not able to cope with things changing in the way that you fear, while also being unhappy in a situation that doesn't serve you. I learned that healing happens faster than I think, that I have a deep capacity for recovery and growth, and that I CAN do the thing I think I can't.

Going forward, I will do my best to remember this (it's sometimes hard when we're in the thick of things, isn't it?) and to trust my intuition to lead the way when I'm unsure. I'll act more quickly on my gut, and at the very least give myself the right not to make any major heart decisions until the right path seems clear. Consistently. Not just every now and then. I know I will be able to survive any decision I make, even when it seems heartbreaking at the time. For me, the heart heals more quickly than I ever thought possible.

No comments: