Friday, December 17, 2010

Reverb10: December 14: Appreciate

Following a link from Gretchen Rubin at the Happiness Project, I found the Reverb10 site, which encourages us to spend each day of December looking back at 2010 and thinking about what we want in our lives in 2011, through daily prompts. Since I started nine days late, I'm not going to write about all of them, but I think I'll write now about one that sings to me. 

December 14 – Appreciate What’s the one thing you have come to appreciate most in the past year? How do you express gratitude for it?

The thing I learned to appreciate most this year is my intuition, my inner knowing. The fact is that if we listen to ourselves, we often already know the answer. If we sit with a dilemma in silence, with our heads still, our soul knows the right way to go. And if it really doesn't know, it may not be the time to make the decision. Looking back on 2010, I saw so many times when my intuition was right, and my tendency to trust people implicitly or look on everyone with compassion without taking steps to protect my own interests overrode what my gut was sometimes screaming at me to do. So I've decided that, from now on, I will listen to my intuition, take the time to sit in silence and let it send its messages to me, and listen to it when it keeps tapping at my shoulder. If something seems wrong, consistently, it is wrong. If someone seems untrustworthy, it's OK to protect myself before engaging with them. My intuition is there to help me walk this path with a minimal amount of danger, and I need to trust it.

No comments: